Rimi has always worked in two main areas to promote a healthy lifestyle and help its customers feel good: by promoting an active lifestyle, and to inspire healthy choices through recipes, customer magazines, websites and stores.
Promotion of a healthy lifestyle is conveyed through different activities, such as:
- Restricted use of harmful ingredients in Private Label products, such as azo dyes, GMOs, partly hydrogenated fat and others
- Being the first retailer to deny energy drink sales to minors
- Supporting local activities such as the Children’s marathon & Lattelecom Riga marathon in Latvia, the Danske Bank Vilnius marathon in Lithuania, and children's football camps and sports scholarships in Estonia
- Encouraging the consumption of fruit & vegetables in the “Drink F&V” campaign
- Offering a wide assortment of products for special dietary needs - gluten free, lactose free products
Not only does Rimi support healthy lifestyle choices for its customers, but for its employees as well. Rimi hosts different health-related activities in “health month”, and provides fruit as a healthy snack on a daily basis.
Rimi works to reduce the company's environmental impact at all stages; in everyday work in stores, logistics and offices.
As a part of ICA Gruppen, Rimi is working towards the target of being climate-neutral by 2020.
Here's what has been done to meet that target:
- Electric car charging stations have been implemented in Lithuanian Rimi parking lots in co-operation with the electric car sharing company “Spark”
- Participation in nation-wide campaigns to reduce food waste going to landfills, including round-table discussions and supporting environmental education initiatives in Latvia and Estonia
We aim to support customers as they seek out sustainable choices, which will result in a further expanded proportion of organic and eco-labelled products. For this reason, Rimi has attained organic certification for its warehouses in all 3 countries as well as ISO 14001 certification (Environmental Management System) in Central Sourcing to ensure an environmentally friendly approach to purchasing new goods.
It is ICA Gruppen’s firm conviction that all trade should be conducted on human terms. We sell products from around the world, and need to be aware of where the products come from and under what conditions they were produced.
Rimi supports ethical trade in the following ways:
- enforcing policies with all suppliers supporting human rights, the right to organize and collectively bargain, disavowing discrimination
- promoting sustainable choices such as Fairtrade, UTZ and Rainforest Alliance certified products
- co-founding and leading “White Wave”, the business transparency movement in Lithuania
Rimi takes an active role in educating society and encouraging business partners to follow these ethical trade principles by hosting seminars and workshops on important issues. One example includes organizing a seminar for Rimi Private Label suppliers on the negative environmental impact of palm oil, and offering support for switching to more sustainable options.
Rimi cares about society both in the area it operates in as well as in those regions where goods are produced, especially in so-called high risk countries. For this reason, social audits are performed for each supplier to ensure humane working conditions for every part of the production chain, and to stimulate the local economic development and welfare.
Rimi gives to those in need within several charity projects. For example:
- Foodbank Lithuania
- Charity donation boxes in Rimi stores for those in need
- Supporting the NGO “Mentor Latvia”, in a project where Rimi clients donated 16 023,03 euros in charity boxes
- awarded “Responsible Business 2015” in Lithuania for introducing sustainability standards both within the company and with suppliers, supporting the environment, children, the disabled, and for promoting a healthy lifestyle
- awarded the Platinum achievement in the Sustainability Index 2016 in Latvia for high performance in corporate social responsibility in the fields of strategy, work environment, market relations, environment and the society or local community
- nominated as a Family Friendly company for the 5th year in a row by the government of Latvia within the Sustainability Index 2016
- awarded the prize for being the most Diversely Open Company of 2016 in Latvia by the Society Integration Foundation
It is important to Rimi to support local traditions and farmers. As a result, Rimi Hypermarkets include so-called “Farmer stores”, which sell locally produced traditional or organic goods. Projects such as the Taste Stories of Latvia highlight the stories of local farmers, and honor their culinary traditions.
Customers should feel safe shopping at Rimi thanks to quality that is based on clear routines, traceability, and guaranteed safe handling of the products. This is further reflected in product safety, animal welfare, ingredients, taste, and labelling.
Rimi product quality is ensured through the implementation of several systems, including:
- the Sustainability appendix and Product Specific requirements communicated to each producer
- laboratory-checked product specifications for Private Label products
- sensory evaluation (taste, smell, appearance, etc.) of Private Label products performed by a team of experts.
- culinary and private label products are passing regular monitoring programme
- BRC certification for all warehouses in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia for work in logistics and sourcing
- ISO 9001 certification requirements achieved for Central Sourcing
- Swedish Retail Standards of the Self-control system introduced in all stores and is regularly monitored for performance
Rimi suppliers are chosen wisely – we aim for 80% of food suppliers for Rimi’s corporate brand products to be quality certified.
Where such 3rd party certification is not available, a supplier audit is carried out by Rimi.